MinnChica

MinnChica from The Book Pushers

Just In Time - Addison Fox Review originally posted here: http://thebookpushers.com/2013/08/19/review-just-in-time-by-addison-fox/

This was my first Fox read, and I have to say one of the only reasons I requested it was because of the hockey star hero. I’m definitely glad I took the chance.

Avery and Roman have a very long and complicated past. Friends since before they could walk, childhood sweethearts, and eventually high school lovers, when Roman left to pursue his dream, Avery was left behind to pick up the pieces. Now that Roman is back for a wedding, these two are thrown into each other’s path and realize that the connection they always felt is still alive and looking for more.

Roman knows his career is coming to an end, and isn’t sure what he wants to do with the next phase of his life. Either way, he knows that he wants Avery to be a part of it. But getting her to trust him again, fall for him again, is more work than Roman thought it would be. Being together is everything and more these two expected, but life has a way of throwing a wrench into the best laid plans.

I’m a huge fan of second chance love stories, and Roman and Avery needed that second chance. It seemed as if so much of their past was left unopened, unresolved. They both needed the chance to get over and move on from who they were as kids, and the fact that they both really wanted to move on together was so beautiful. For some reason, this second chance story really struck chords with me that no other story has. I’m not sure if it was because of all their past issues that went without resolution, or because they were both still so obviously in love, or if it was because they had to really learn to trust and become friends again. Either way, their romance had me laughing and crying.

The secondary characters were wonderful as well. I think I’m going to have to go back and read the previous two books so that I can see Avery’s two best friends have their journey to love. Both Sloan and Walker and Grier and Mick were so sweet and supportive and fun. I loved the relief their friendship provided both Avery and Roman throughout the intense romantic moments.

The small town in Alaska was an interesting backdrop for the small town romance. I have never been to Alaska (nor had the desire to. It’s too damn cold for my desert blood!) but I’ve heard of it’s beauty, and Fox did a wonderful job of portraying a cozy and different way of life for those making a life in town. I hope that Fox explores more with these characters and town in future books.

The sports aspect of the book, which was the original point to peak my interest, was almost moot. We didn’t get the chance to see Roman play in any professional setting, and although he worked hard coaching the high school hockey team, the sport itself didn’t really factor much into the story. I wasn’t disappointed though. I loved the fact that Fox took the time to really focus on the romance.

All in all I was impressed by my first Addison Fox read. I loved the different small town vibe that the tiny, secluded Alaska town provided. The characters were all so well developed and I’m anxious to go back and read more about them. But the romance was the key factor in making this book so good!
I give Just In Time a B+