MinnChica

MinnChica from The Book Pushers

Home to Whiskey Creek - Brenda Novak Review originally posted here: http://thebookpushers.com/2013/08/02/review-home-to-whiskey-creek-by-brenda-novak/

I really enjoy the Whiskey Creek series, and I was excited to read about Noah, especially since the last few books have been leading up to a big confrontation with Noah’s best friend. I have to say though, I never expected this book to be so incredibly heavy.

Addy swore she would never return to Whiskey Creek, but her sick grandmother has her coming back, and she isn’t exactly welcomed with open arms. The last person she ever expected to rescue her, Noah, seems to be the only person willing to welcome her home.

The death of Noah’s brother still haunts him at times, and when he finds Addy at the bottom of the mine shaft that killed his brother, he is drawn to her in so many ways he never expected. As Addy finds herself in more and more trouble, Noah is bound and determined to keep her safe, all the while falling for her. The last thing Noah expected was to fall for a woman, let alone one with secrets that someone would kill to keep.

Oye, this book was tough to read. I don’t like to give away spoilers, but I also feel it’s kinda important to know what you might be getting yourself into when you pick up this book. If you don’t want to be spoiled, stop reading now…

At 16, Addy goes to a graduation party and gets gang raped by a group of boys from the baseball team. The ringleader happens to be Noah’s twin brother, and after he comes back for more, Addy fights back and inadvertently causes the cave in that kills Noah’s brother.

Needless to say, there is some seriously heavy stuff going on in this book, and I still am not sure how I feel about it all. It’s been almost a week now and every time I think back on the book I’m hurt and confused and sad and there are just so many emotions welling up I have problems process it all.

Despite the horrific part of Addy’s past, she seemed incredibly strong to not only go back to Whiskey Creek, but to also live through the torment all over again. I know that had I been in her place, I would have run at the first sign of trouble. The strength of her character was amazing, but at times it bordered on the unreal. I had a hard time believing that she was so put together, that she was so strong, that she was able to deal with everything she had to endure. She was almost too healed, too put together, too perfect.

I liked Noah and thought that he handled the truth of his brother well. I was glad to see him stick by Addy’s side, despite the fact that so many people tried to convince him otherwise. Despite the fact that Addy was somewhat responsible for his twin’s death. He was there for her every step of the way, and I adored him for that.

I have to say, I really liked the parts where Noah had to deal with his best friend, Baxter, coming out. It was something that had been building for awhile now, and I liked the way it all played out. From the awkward way that Baxter told Noah, to the struggle with maintaining their friendship, it was actually the lighter sub-plot of the whole book! I hope that things with Bax resolve within the next book though, because I love his character.

All in all this book was tough. I am still struggling with my overall feelings on it, because the subject matter was so hard to read, so hard to handle. Novak did a wonderful job bringing out so many different emotions with this book, but I’m just not sure it’s one that many people will enjoy.

This book is so hard for me to grade, but I think I’ll have to give Home to Whiskey Creek a B-/C+