MinnChica

MinnChica from The Book Pushers

Friday Night Alibi - Cassie Mae Review originally posted here: http://thebookpushers.com/2013/07/26/review-friday-night-alibi-by-cassie-mae/

When I saw that Random House was starting a new line of New Adult books, I was pretty excited to see what they had in store for us. When I read about the debut novel in that line, Friday Night Alibi, I was intrigued enough to request it right away. I have to say, I’m kinda wishing I never did…

Kelli lives in the snooty town of Sundale, where the rich kids live in fear of losing their trust funds, and turn to Kelli to create a good alibi for them. Kelli is known as being a great student, star tennis player, and all around good girl. Anyone who fears telling their parents about the bad-boy they’re dating, or the hippie chick they are in love with, they can turn to Kelli to keep their reputation squeaky-clean.

But when Kelli meets Chase, her good-girl reputation might have to change as she realizes just how attracted to him she is, and how great he can be in her life. But is she ready to give up the alibi job for a chance at the real thing?

This book encompassed everything I hate about young adult books. So, the fact that it was marketed as a new adult book makes me doubly angry. Nothing about this book was new adult, other than the age of the hero. Our heroine was still living at home, and the only reason she was done with highschool is because she supposedly finished a semester early. Her parents were nowhere to be found, and Kelli had the attitude and outlook of a naive and annoying 16 year old.

I really hate not liking a book, so when I found myself rolling my eyes and scoffing at everything I read, I started to get more and more upset. The fact that this was classified as new adult makes me question any and every other book to be released in the Flirt line. I hate feeling like I’m being fooled into reading something that I would otherwise NEVER pick up.

On top of it, the writing was not at the level I expected. If I had to listen to the heroine compare her overactive nerves to “popcorn” one more time I was going to thrown my reader. At one point, the heroine actually had her popcorn nerves “popping outta her ears” and was surprised the hero wasn’t getting pelted in the face. Seriously??

All in all I was extremely disappointed in this book. It was considerably too young to be considered new adult, and the lack of any parents within the book made me feel like I was just reading another fluff YA. I hated the heroine, and although the hero was one I liked at times, I found that I got more and more mad at myself for liking someone who would continue to put up with the heroines bull.
I give Friday Night Alibi an F.