MinnChica

MinnChica from The Book Pushers

Magic Bleeds -  Ilona Andrews Review can be found at my blog here: http://lifeaccording2nicole.blogspot.com/2010/05/magic-bleeds-best-book-of-2010.html

HOLY CRAP! Ilona & Gordon Andrews do it again. Magic Bleeds is the 4th installment of the awesome Kate Daniels series. When we last left Kate, her relationship with Curran was about to take a turn. Kate promised Curran a naked dinner date, and we started our journey from there. Due to a misunderstanding, the first portion of the book leads fans on an emotional rollercoaster as Kate goes through the difficulties of sorting out her feelings.

Kate quickly gets assigned a crazy case full of rapid spreading diseases, crowds of hysteria, and influential people all around town ending up dead. Kate must work quickly to discover the villain, fight for a relationship with Curran, and take on a new foe who will bring her that much closer to her destiny: taking out the big bad Roland.

Since starting my countdown more than a month ago for this book, I honestly did a little dance at the bookstore when I got a call it came in. I rushed home, and read it cover to cover in one sitting. It definitely does NOT disappoint. This book has everything Urban Fantasy fans love: plenty of fighting, crazy villains, and a love story to die for.

Kate’s new adversary in this book is, in my opinion, the best villain to date. This mysterious person comes on the scene trailing death and destruction. Once Kate unravels the history behind the new foe, the story becomes so much more intense and a little heart breaking. The connection between these two took me completely by surprise, and that is something that does not happen to me often. The fights between these two are well matched, well played, and described in a way that lets the reader into a front row seat at the ring.

The dialog and interchange between Kate and her cast of supporting characters will never cease to amaze me. Andrews’ writing is a great combination of wit, jokes, and seriousness. The one liners had me laughing out loud, and the depth of emotion had me sometimes crying.
Although I would have liked to see more of the “boy wonder” also known as Derek, I thoroughly enjoyed Kate taking on a pet (something she swore never to do), who frequently provided comedic relief throughout. Andrea, Raphael, Jim, and Dali are all back for more, but seem to take more of a back seat role.

I enjoyed the fact that this book really focused on two main aspects: the relationship between Kate & Curran (and can we say HOT HOT HOT!) and the fight between Kate and the villain. The budding romance for Kate & Curran really takes center stage, and I love that Andrews’ makes the two of them so real. They get into arguments, they get pissed at each other, they pick fights, and at the end of the day, the make a decision to try and make it work and they stick to it. It’s real, it’s gritty, and it’s fabulous written.

This book DOES NOT disappoint.

All in all, I give Magic Bleeds 5 out of 5 Beast Lords.