MinnChica

MinnChica from The Book Pushers

Exposed (Tracers) - Laura Griffin Review originally posted here: http://thebookpushers.com/2013/06/24/review-exposed-by-laura-griffin/

I came in late to the Tracers series, but everything I’ve read of Griffin’s has blown me away. After I put one of her books down, I’m always anxious to get the next.

Maddie loves her job taking crime scene photos, but the side business of taking wedding, engagement and personal photos is rewarding as well. When her brand new camera is stolen, Maddie finds out that she may have inadvertently witnessed a crime, and is thrust into the middle on an ongoing FBI investigation involving kidnapping, murder and torture.

Brian is new to the FBI, and this case is one that has had him running in circles. First he lost his witness, then he can’t stop his attraction to the newest witness in the case, the cool-as-a-cucumber Maddie. Brian isn’t sure about her, but when Maddie helps their investigation as much as possible, Brian will do anything to protect her, especially when Maddie finds herself in the crosshairs.

While I really liked this book, it wasn’t my favorite in the series so far. There didn’t seem to be as much hard-hitting action as previous books, and I always loved the high level of suspense that Griffin puts into her novels. For me, with this installment, that was missing. However, I have to say that I adored the romance and friendship between Brian and Maddie. I loved that Brian was willing to chase Maddie, at her pace, and win her over little by little. He refused to accept her brushing him off and proved to Maddie that he was not only her friend, but romance potential as well.

Given Maddie’s history, I felt devastated for her. I could understand why she wanted to stay as far away from falling in love as possible, however I never really understood her reluctance to Brian being younger than her. Other than her mentioning it a few times throughout the book, it never really played a part for either of them, in my opinion. I did really enjoy watching Maddie grow past her trauma in life and come out so healthy in the end, especially when she confronts her ex.

The mystery surrounding this case was very different. I’m so used to my romantic suspense villains being about terrorists or crime lords, so seeing The Doctor as the big bad was a huge change for me. Granted, that didn’t stop him for being a sadistic bastard, but it was somewhat refreshing to have a totally different bad guy and plot line. I was shocked with the twist that Griffin threw in at the end, and couldn’t believe who all was involved with the case. It was a twist I definitely wasn’t expecting.

All in all I really liked the seventh Tracers book. The romance seemed to be a larger focus of this book, and I liked the slow building relationship between Brian and Maddie. While I would have liked for more action and pulse-pounding suspense, I was intrigued by the unique plot lines. Once again I’m anxious for the next book in the series!

I give Exposed a B-