MinnChica

MinnChica from The Book Pushers

Cutest Couple - Kate Davies Review originally posted here: http://thebookpushers.com/2013/04/29/review-cutest-couple-by-kate-davies/

I have a love hate relationship with secret baby stories. Some are incredibly well done, while others leave something to be desired. For me, Cutest Couple was on the right track to being a well done secret baby story, however I felt it never got fully developed. But, given the novella length, it was to be expected.

Marc and Bree were high school sweethearts and everyone thought they would end up together for the long-haul. When Marc goes off to join the military, Bree sends him a letter informing him of their son, and when she never hears back she assumes the worst. Now Marc is back for their high school reunion, and the cat is out of the bag.

Despite the anger Marc has when he realizes Bree never told him about their son, he is still unbelievably attracted to her. But the reunion is only for the weekend, will Bree and Marc be able to come to some kind of understanding about their past and look toward the future?

I don’t mind reading novellas, in fact, there are times I really enjoy a short story. However, I thought this book could have really benefited from being longer. I wanted more of the story to unfold Given the depth of emotions that both Bree and Marc had toward one another, I felt a little letdown when the book ended on such a positive and happy note. I needed a little more time for the characters to come to grips with their feelings and move forward.

I’ve read another series before where the books all take place at the same time, and I have to say, I kind of like it. I’m definitely intrigued to see what happens with Bree’s best friends, and will probably go back and get the other books in this series. Davies does a wonderful job of giving each woman their individual time, as well as their girl time together.

As characters, I really enjoyed both Bree and Marc. They both held a torch for one another, and I’m an absolute sucker for second chance love stories. I liked that Bree felt guilt at the fact that Marc never got her letter, that he never got the chance to know about his son. Marc was a sweetheart as well, feeling both anger and disappointment at Bree, while also dealing with his romantic feelings. They were both complex characters and I really enjoyed that.

All in all I liked this novella. I thought the story had some really incredible potential, and I’m excited to read the other installments of this series. My one and only disappointment with this book is that I didn’t feel as if the story was fully developed. I would really have liked to see more of an in-depth exploration of their feelings, their romance, and the developing relationship between them and their son.

I give Cutest Couple a B-