MinnChica

MinnChica from The Book Pushers

The Care and Feeding of an Alpha Male - Jill Myles, Jessica Clare Review originally posted here: http://thebookpushers.com/2012/10/09/review-the-care-and-feeding-of-an-alpha-male-by-jessica-clare/

I have such a girl crush on all things Jessica Clare and Jill Myles, so when the second Bluebonnet book showed up in my mailbox, I think I squeed.

Beth Ann is the local town princess, she comes from money, was the popular girl in high school, and dated the town “hero.” However, the way the town sees her, and the way she sees herself are very different. She doesn’t want to marry her cheating high school sweetheart, and she wants to work hard at her business and become successful on her own two feet.

Colt comes from the poor side of town, from the family that everyone made fun of throughout school and life in general. He knows that he isn’t worthy of Beth Ann, but when he finds her hiking through the woods, he wants to have a little fun with her. He convinces her they can’t get home and spends the weekend putting her through his own survival training. Little did Colt expect, Beth Ann would enjoy it and thrive at the great outdoors. And as their relationship develops, everyone tries to tell them how wrong they are for each other, despite the fact that both Colt and Beth Ann know exactly how right if feels.

This book had such a Romeo and Juliet feel to it, especially when it came to the townsfolk. Everyone was so desperate to push Beth Ann back to her highschool sweetheart, despite the fact that Beth Ann had no desire to be with him anymore. The cold shoulder, dirty looks, and outrageous assumptions from everyone in town were both appalling and hilarious in a way that only Clare can do. I thought the star-crossed lovers aspect was amazing, and it really worked for me.

I absolutely loved and adored both our hero and heroine. Beth Ann was so kind and gentle and although she was perceived by many to be the town “princess,” she hated the moniker. She didn’t have the best home life, her longtime boyfriend was a cheat, and the only thing she desperately wanted was to become a successful business woman while standing on her own two feet. She didn’t want help, she didn’t want handouts, and she wanted to be seen as her own woman. She was so kind and caring to everyone she met. She was just the absolute sweetest heroine and one that I loved reading.

Likewise Colt was a fabulous hero. He started off resenting Beth Ann a little bit, despite the fact that he didn’t even really know her. But the more he did get to know her, the more he fell head over heels for her. Colt was super Alpha in his own way, and yet he was also the kind of hero who stood in the background, always ready to lend a helping hand should his leading lady stumble.

Their relationship was great as well. What started as animosity quickly turned to flaming hot passion and developed into such a great friendship and foundation after that. I love that Clare does such a great job writing truly erotic stories, while keeping the core romance the focus of the overall story. Beth Ann and Colt had some super sexy moments though, that’s for sure!!

All in all I really enjoyed the second installment of the Bluebonnet series. Beth Ann and Colt were both wonderful characters who I was able to fall in love with both individually and as a couple. Their romance was sweet and sexy and oh-so-hot! I can’t wait to see what more Clare brings us in this series!
I give The Care and Feeding of an Alpha Male a B+