MinnChica

MinnChica from The Book Pushers

The Lady is a Vamp - Lynsay Sands Review originally posted here: http://thebookpushers.com/2012/08/09/review-the-lady-is-a-vamp-by-lynsay-sands/

I’ve long been a fan of the Argeneau series, and although I’ve found that recent books just don’t live up to the awesomeness that was the first 5-6 in the series, Sands still rates fairly high on my list of paranormal romance authors.

Jeanne Louise never expected to be kidnapped by a man who could potentially be her lifemate. But to make matters worse, Paul is desperate for Jeanne Louise to turn his daughter, so that she won’t die from the brain tumor that is quickly claiming her. But Jeanne Louise doesn’t want to tell Paul about the one-turn rule until she can be sure that he doesn’t want to be her lifemate just because he will then be able to turn his daughter.

Paul will do anything to save his daughter’s life, including kidnapping Jeanne Louise. But he never expected that he would fall for Jeanne Louise in the short time they were together, especially since they are on the run from the Enforcers. But just when these two might finally have a plan in place for the future, it all comes crashing to a halt when the Enforcers find them, and Jeanne Louise makes a split second decision that changes all their lives.

I’ve long awaited Jeanne Louise’s story, and while I was glad to see her get her lifemate and HEA, there were times I just really didn’t feel the love between her and Paul. Besides a few references to them both being science freaks, and their mutual love for Paul’s daughter Livy, there didn’t seem to be much else keeping these two together, other than the nanos. I would have liked to have seen a deeper connection between Jeanne Louise and Paul, but it just never seemed to happen for me.

I will admit that the kidnapping situation was humorous at first, but it didn’t last for long. Although Jeanne Louise was quick to decide to stick around because Paul was her lifemate, the whole kidnapping thing continued on a more uncomfortable level than funny one. To top it all off, Jeanne Louise really seemed to talk up just how badly of a situation they were in with Paul kidnapping her, yet when the Enforcers found them, they seemed to get off with a VERY light slap on the wrist.

The major conflict at the end was eventually all wrapped up in a pretty bow, but I was a little worried we might not ever get there. With the decision Jeanne Louise made, and the consequences that both she and Paul had to face together seemed to be more than they could surpass, and it just lent to the ideal that they weren’t really meant for one another. Yet once it was all resolved in the end, it was like rainbows and unicorns and all was right again in the world. I just had a hard time buying into their romance, and the ending conflict didn’t help.

All in all I still enjoy the Argeneau books, and look forward to more in the future, however this one really just didn’t work for me. I never felt the love between Jeanne Louise and Paul, and couldn’t understand their reasons for being together. I hope that Sands will go back to the fresh, fun and spunky style that encompassed the first 5 books in this series.
I give The Lady is a Vamp a C