MinnChica

MinnChica from The Book Pushers

Midnight Rescue - Elle Kennedy Review originally posted here: http://thebookpushers.com/2012/04/27/review-midnight-rescue-by-elle-kennedy/

It’s no secret that I am an absolute sucker for all things romantic suspense. Between this cover, blurb and set-up, there was no way I could turn this book down. I am so glad that I read it, I have a feeling this will become another rom suspense series that will keep me addicted to the final word.

Abby is one of the best assassins in the world, so when she gets captured, her boss contacts Jim Morgan and his team of mercenaries to get Abby out of trouble. But Abby wasn’t in the jail for no reason, she was hoping to get out a group of young girls that were being auctioned off into the sex trade.

Kane is immediately attracted to Abby, even when he carries her bloody and beaten from her cell. He nurses her back to health and agrees to continue her mission to save the girls. Although Abby tries her best to keep Kane at an arm’s length, he does everything he can to get under her skin and into her heart.

This book had a lot of the same feel of the Black Ops Inc, and KGI books have. A strong sense of brotherhood, a bond of military and heartbreak that keeps these men together as not only teammates, but also friends. For that aspect alone, this book found its way into that special spot in my heart. Likewise, the gals: Noelle, Abby and Isabel had a kind of kinship to them as well. I always love when those bonds come through strongly in a story like this.

I also liked that there were moments of high action, and lulls of downtime as the team planned their missions. While I like my rom suspense to occasionally go a million miles a minute from the first page to the last, the story also loses a little something when there is no downtime for the hero and heroine to get to know one another, find out what they have in common, and start to form a foundation for a relationship. Abby and Kane were given plenty of opportunity for it, and although they both seemed to resent those moments, those moments became some of my favorites.

I liked that Abby was forced to deal a lot with her emotional past. That she didn’t just jump into bed with Kane. I especially love that Kane was the one to back off from their first sexual encounter because he could tell she wasn’t in it for the right reasons. I think that was the first moment I knew Kane would win over my heart. As he helped Abby break through her barriers, he became the sweet and endearing Alpha hero. The one who wants to act as backup for his woman because he knows she can handle herself, but will do everything within his power to ensure she stays safe.

I was a little frustrated with Abby in the end, especially since she ran off without really thinking things through. She didn’t look at all sides of the situation, and ended up almost ruining the best thing. And yet, with Abby being the person in the relationship that ran and messed things up, I was so happy to see Kane make her work to get him back. He didn’t bow down to her every whim and need, instead he told her what he needed, and made her come to him when she was ready and able to prove herself. *melt*

The secondary characters, all the other men working for Morgan were great. I can’t wait to find out more about D’s history, see if Trevor will be able to get over his fiance’s death, meet the mysterious Sully. I especially loved the forced relationship between Trevor and Isabel as they went undercover as husband and wife. The sexual tension between them was palpable, and I hope that the two of them will be the next couple featured in the series.

All in all romantic suspense fans will want to get a hold of this book! I loved the sense of comradery between the men, I love the mystery surrounding the other team members, and the balance of action and rest time. I can’t wait for the next book… Elle Kennedy, please write faster!
I give Midnight Rescue an A-