MinnChica

MinnChica from The Book Pushers

Holly Lane - Toni Blake Review originally posted here: http://www.smexybooks.com/2011/11/guest-review-holly-lane-by-toni-blake

This was my first read by Toni Blake, and I had heard so many great things about her that I was excited to start this one. Unfortunately for me it started strong and slowly started falling apart.

Sue Ann’s husband has left her and she is barely hanging on trying to keep her spirits up and provide the best Christmas she can for her daughter. When she tries to get away for the weekend, a scheduling mishap has her spending the night with her ex’s best friend Adam. After a night of some smoking hot sex, Sue Ann does everything she can to put some distance between them.

But Adam has other plans. After just one night with Sue Ann he is hooked on her. What starts as physical soon turns into more for him, and each time Sue Ann pulls away from him he gets more and more grumpy. But he is determine to win her over, and when he puts his mind to it, he is determine to get the girl in any way possible.

I wanted to like this book, and when it started strong and sexy I was fairly optimistic that this would become a new favorite holiday read. But the more the story went on, the closer and closer it came to being a contemporary romantic retelling of A Christmas Carol. Now, I have nothing wrong with using classic books as a guide, I even liked A Christmas Carol. But one of the things that I absolutely can not stand is when contemporary romance books add in a splash of paranormal: ghosts, premonition, dreams that are so real the character believes they have actually happened/will happen. I love paranormal books, but when authors try to use even a little supernatural in their contemporary romance books it completely turns me off.

That being said, had the dreams of Christmas past, present and future not played such a predominant role in Adam’s behavior, I think I would have liked this book more. Both Adam and Sue Ann were well developed characters and I thought that their romance had great potential. I did wish that each of their kids would have played a more active role in the book however, it felt like both Sue Ann and Adam didn’t think about them as much as I would have liked them too.

I do think the town of Destiny housed a cast of characters that could be lead to another great small town series. I’ve always been a big fan of books set in small towns, as I think the town itself can be portrayed as another character that livens and can really make a book great.

One of the other things I noticed is that is seems as if everyone in Destiny is divorced. I don’t know if that is a common feature in Blake books, but that in-and-of itself almost turned me off a little because it seemed like everyone had to go through a fail marriage before finding a good one. It just seemed a little unreal and ridiculous.

All in all I wanted to like this, I really did. However it really just didn’t work for me. While I enjoyed Blake’s writing and might be willing to try another story by her, this one really didn’t do anything for me.

I give Holly Lane a D+