MinnChica

MinnChica from The Book Pushers

Sapphire - Jeffe Kennedy Review originally posted at: http://thebookpushers.com/2011/10/25/review-sapphire-by-jeffe-kennedy/

Publisher: Carina Press
Publish Date: Out Now!
How I got this book: NetGalley

I’m always on the look out for a good BDSM romance to read, especially since my favorite author doesn’t write nearly as fast as I think she should. So when I ran across this Kennedy novella from Carina Press, I jumped on it.

Taylor is a successful business woman, she is driven and motivated and annoyingly prim and proper. When her peer and business contact Adam literally cuffs her to kiss her, Taylor worries that she might be in deep trouble. Once Adam asks her to submit to him in the bedroom, Taylor knows she is in over her head.

Adam has wanted Taylor from the moment he laid eyes on her, but she is a tough nut to crack, and he isn’t willing to settle for a part of her. He will push her limits both sexually and emotionally, but when push comes to shove, will Taylor be ready to open herself to him, or will Adam have pushed too far?

I think that I occasionally go into reading BDSM romance books with an unrealistic expectations. I want the stories to blow me away not only with the romance, but with the emotional depth that comes along with that kind of lifestyle choice. Instead, more times than not I’m left feeling a little shaken and let down, as much as parts of this story were great, there were others that were not.

The times when Adam and Taylor were “scening” in his home were very sexy, but from the emotional standpoint I felt a little let down. Adam didn’t always come across as the most caring and supportive Dom, and at times I wanted to smack him for his BS threats of punishment. After the first few chapters I had such high hopes for Adam. He came across so strong and even a little love sick. I wanted him to be everything for Taylor, instead he feel a little short for me.

Taylor wasn’t much better. She was scared and frightened and let that rule every little moment of her life, to the point that she wasn’t really living anymore. The moments where she submitted to Adam were great, but the second he walked away or she had a moment in her own head she would go back to being scared and small-minded. I wanted a little more growth from her throughout, instead of just taking the gigantic leap at the end of the story.

I was glad that Taylor was the one who initiated their contact again after leaving. It was pleasing to see how she did it, and the ending did help to make Taylor a little more of an enjoyable character.

All in all I wasn’t as impressed as I would have hoped with this Kennedy short. I wanted a little more of an emotional connection from Adam and Taylor, and felt that it was really one-sided on Adam’s behalf.

I give Sapphire a C-