MinnChica

MinnChica from The Book Pushers

Sweet Justice: A Last Chance Rescue Novel - Christy Reece Review originally posted here: http://thebookpushers.com/2011/10/11/review-sweet-justice-by-christy-reece/

Publisher: Ballantine
Publish Date: Out Now!
How I got this book: NetGalley

This was my first Christy Reece book, and it will NOT be my last. I enjoyed this one immensely, and will need to go back and catch up on this intriguing series.

Seth and Honor have a complicated past, but searching for Seth’s missing niece is their number one priority. However, they both seem to have difficulties leaving their past behind them. Honor is still hurt over the way that Seth left her, even after he explains the truth behind his actions. Seth is still head over heels for her, but worries that he will never be good enough, never have anything to offer her.

When Honor goes undercover to save the missing girls, she is put smack in the center of danger, and Seth finds out that he will do anything and everything to keep her safe. But when he is the one to get hurt, will Honor be able to forgive him and move on?

Reece has put a GREAT twist on the romantic suspense genre, having her series focus on the recovery of lost children. It was emotional and inspiring and all around fabulous! Nothing like anything I’ve read before in the romantic suspense genre. I loved the premise of the series all around, and this book’s plot was wonderful as well. The story line was believable while also being just a little bit crazy.

Let me start with Seth and Honor. When second chance love stories are done right, they are some of my favorite ones out there. This one was done right. There was a perfect amount of pain and anger, desire and lust, and the right amount of groveling before forgiveness was given. I loved that the beginning of the book followed them through their lives from when the first started dating and broke up, to the large milestones to present day. Then, watching them come together, with all that pain and angst, and trying to work together was wonderful drama.

Like I said, I was happy to see a certain amount of groveling and angst before forgiveness was given. While I understood Seth’s reasons for leaving Honor the first time around, I also could see how upsetting it was to each of them. I was glad that although Honor was quick to find herself back in his bed, she wasn’t quick to give away her heart once again. She was weary of him, and had a hard time with letting go of the past. But after a heart-to-heart with her mother, a certain amount of groveling from Seth and a near-death experience it was refreshing to see them both put the past away and move forward.

The plot with the insane villain and the creepy cult was so eerie and well done. I think that this bad guy was one of the most chilling I’ve read in awhile. Not only was the guy absolutely insane, he was also sadistic, twisted and totally F-ed in the head. It was difficult to read some scenes, especially when he and his daughter were together (talk about two seriously screwed up people!!), but every difficult word just added credence to how insane the guy was.

I loved the secondary characters as well, and can’t wait to go back and read the previous books I missed, as well as continue with the series going forward. Both Jared and Aiden wormed their way into my heart with just a few pages of face-time, but I’m anxious to read more about them.

All in all I was so happy to have picked up this Reece book. I loved the premise of the book and series as a whole, loved the twisted and creepy aspects of the cult and it’s brainwashing. The characters were real and believable, and the romance between Seth and Honor was so fun to read, during the good times and the bad. For anyone who has NOT read Reece, I definitely recommend you pick up one of her books!

I give Sweet Justice an A-