MinnChica

MinnChica from The Book Pushers

Out of the Shadows  (Shadow Warriors, #1) - Gabriella Hewitt Review originally posted here: http://thebookpushers.com/2011/10/07/review-out-of-the-shadows-by-gabriella-hewitt/

Publisher: Samhain
Publish Date: Out Now!
How I got this book: eARC from author

I was intrigued by this book mainly because it was wrapped up in Aztec mythology, and that isn’t something that is common in the paranormal world. I was hoping it would be fresh and new and different.

Carolina is living alone on her ranch, protecting her goddess and barely hanging on by a thread. When she is attacked by a demon one night and ends up fighting side-by-side with a shadow warrior, her life looks like it’s going down in a spiral. But Tomas knows that Carolina is his shadow mate, and he will do anything and everything to keep her safe.

Tomas fears he is loosing the battle with his wolf, and knows that having Carolina as his shadow mate will keep the wolf at bay. But she is holding something back, afraid to mate with him. When a demon seems fixated on Carolina and her land, Tomas worries he will loose her forever.

This is my first Hewitt read, and while I really enjoyed the premise of the book and the Aztec mythology, there was just something else missing for me. The Aztec mythology and gods was a neat twist, and one I enjoyed reading. Granted I could have done without the super complicated names (or at least a pronunciation guide), but the new mythology and characters were great fun to read and learn more about.

Both Tomas and Carolina were interesting characters, but there was almost something missing in each of them. They said all the right things, acted in ways that seemed reasonable for their character, but there was a depth of emotion that was missing for me. I don’t know if it was because I never really got involved with the characters or what… but for me they just didn’t resonate very strong.

I did like the side story with the god and goddess though. I might be interested to read more about them if they have a story devoted to them individually. One of the other things I liked was Hewitt’s ability to describe such amazing action scenes. These scenes were frequent and packed with descriptions that brought alive the moment for me. It really made up for the lack of character development for me.

All in all I was hoping for a bit more from this story. I loved the Aztec mythology, the side story of the god and goddess and overall action. However, the lack of character development and emotion from the hero and heroine, as well as the lack of any believable romance between them left me wanting.

I give Out of the Shadows a D+