MinnChica

MinnChica from The Book Pushers

A Bloody Good Secret (Secret McQueen, #2) - Sierra Dean Review originally posted here: http://thebookpushers.com/2011/09/14/review-a-bloody-good-secret-by-sierra-dean/

Publisher: Samhain
Publish Date: September 20th
How I got this book: eARC from Author

Secret McQueen is back for another action packed UF novel from Sierra Dean! We pick up after that INSANE cliffhanger with Secret running away from her problems. But after a few months, she is kidnapped back by Sig, and forced to deal with the Holden issue. She is set on clearing his name, and will do whatever she can to make sure he doesn’t go down for a crime he didn’t commit.

As the plot twists and turns, Secret is thrown into some crazy situations, has to deal with new vampires and wolves, all while trying to figure out what the hell is going on with her complicated love life. But when she discovers who is really behind the plot to frame Holden, will she be able to make it out alive?

I really enjoy the Secret Series. They are fun and incredibly fast paced and everything you could hope for in a classic urban fantasy. Secret is snarky and fun to follow as she gets herself into situation after situation. I love her humor, as well as the fact that Secret gets beat up on. I love that she is such a unique being in her world, but that she isn’t all powerful and all knowing, she still has to do a lot of fighting, and a lot of licking her wounds. It just makes Secret all that more likeable.

Dean has a tendency to leave off her novels on a cliffhanger, and this is no exception. After the “you must kill Holden” cliffhanger from the first book, I was glad to see Secret struggle so much with it. I loved that she came back determined to not go through with it, and that she was dead set on making sure she cleared his name. The mystery and action surrounding that was VERY well done and made for an enjoyable read. I was definitely kept guessing throughout the story.

One of the things that I don’t like about the series is the love… pentagon? Secret is soul-bonded with two wolves, Lucas and Desmond. It isn’t so much that triangle that bothers me, because at this point in the series, Secret is obviously in love with Desmond, and really struggles with her relationship with Lucas. It’s the added factor of Sig and Holden, the two vampires that throws me for a loop. There was a weird meta-physical three-some in this book that was interesting and creepy all at the same time. I hate when the heroine is loved by everyone for no real reason, I just hope that there will be some other kind of explanation behind why everyone wants her.

All in all, the 2nd Secret McQueen novel was a killer follow-up to the first, and a definite Urban Fantasy great that fans will fall in love with. Secret is a wonderful character and Dean does an incredible job of pulling in the reader and keeping them on the constant edge of their seats. UF fans will not want to miss out on this one!

I give A Bloody Good Secret a B