MinnChica

MinnChica from The Book Pushers

Only Yours - Susan Mallery Review originally posted here: http://thebookpushers.com/2011/08/24/review-only-yours-by-susan-mallery/

Publisher: HQN
Publish Date: August 30th
How I got this book: NetGalley

Publisher: HQN
Publish Date: August 30th
How I got this book: NetGalley

Man’s best…matchmaker?

Montana Hendrix has found her calling—working with therapy dogs. With a career she loves in a hometown she adores, she’s finally ready to look for her own happily ever after. Could one of her dogs help her find Mr. Right…or maybe Dr. Right?

Surgeon Simon Bradley prefers the sterility of the hospital to the messiness of real life, especially when real life includes an accident-prone mutt and a woman whose kisses make him want what he knows he can’t have.

Scarred since childhood, he avoids emotional entanglement by moving from place to place to heal children who need his skillful touch. Can his growing feelings for Montana lead him to find a home in Fool’s Gold, or will he walk away, taking her broken heart with him?
*Blurb from Goodreads*

Oh I don’t think I can even gush about how much I love Mallery. When she announced she was continuing on with the Fool’s Gold Series, I was ecstatic. I couldn’t wait to get the stories about the Hendrix triplets, and the stories have so far been wonderful.

Montana has always considered herself the lost triplet, but after she started working with the therapy dogs, she knew she had found her calling. After a bad run-in with Dr. Bradley, she worries their encounter will cause problems for her. But to her surprise Simon asks her to bring a dog in for one of his patients, and the two are soon fighting their ever growing feelings of attraction.

Simon has never stayed in one place for long, and although Montana is the kind of woman who makes him think it might be worth it, he keeps telling everyone that he is leaving. Even once the two start to develop a deeper relationship, Simon is scared to stay in one place, even if it’s with Montana. But when his final days in Fool’s Gold approach, Simon finds it harder and harder to say good bye.

I love the way this series continues to unfold at each and every turn! There were so many things brought up in this book that I can’t wait to see where Mallery goes with it. The Hendrix matriarch has a great past that is slowly unraveling that I can’t wait to see how it all plays out. Older brother Kent also will hopefully get a chance at his happily ever after, especially after everything he’s gone through. One of the things that Mallery does best is create incredible and believable characters that drawn you in and keep you coming back for more and more.

Although I was already cheering for Montana, I was a little disappointed with her hero at first. Simon came onto the page with a rampage and was a little bit of a jerk before his true colors started shining through. There were times I didn’t even want to like him, but once more and more of his story unfolded, his anger and hurt became real to me, and his terrible childhood had me shedding tears for him. I was hoping he would have to do a little more groveling before getting Montana back after his declaration that he was leaving, but at the same time I really liked them together.

Their romance was at times predictable, but that is just one of the things I’ve come to love about Mallery’s books. I know that I can count on a great romance with wonderful characters, despite the fact that sometimes it feels as if plots are being tweaked and re-used. One of the biggest things I loved about their romance was how much tension there was between them throughout the story. Their stolen moments were intense and hot and yet they were also few and far between, making them all the more sexy. Also, the way that Montana completed Simon in so many ways was perfect as well. Simon was tortured and broody and angry, but Montana came in and soothed all his rough edges and made him a better man because of it. LOVE THAT!

All in all, Mallery continues an incredible series with fun characters with great family dynamics that ensure the reader will be coming back for more. The little glimpses of past characters was a special treat, and I know that I am anxious for the next installment.

I give Only Yours a B+