MinnChica

MinnChica from The Book Pushers

Collision Course - Zoe Archer Review originally posted here: http://thebookpushers.com/2011/04/06/review-collision-course-by-zoe-archer/

Publisher: Carina Press
Publish Date: Out Now!
How I got this book: NetGalley

I’m a big fan of space opera romance, and man oh man does Archer deliver one of the best I’ve ever read!

Mara is down on her luck when she gets blackmailed into helping the 8th Wing get back one of their pilots and top secret ships. Because of her special skills (dealing in the black market), Mara really doesn’t have a choice. But her day gets worse when she realizes she has to work with a partner, the sex on legs Kell.

The two are instantly attracted, but for them both, the mission has always come first. But with danger lurking around every corner, the two quickly fall to their passion. With their enemies, other mercenaries and mercs hot on their heels, they will have to work together to complete their mission, get out alive, and figure out just where life can take them.

I really can’t say enough fabulous things about Collision Course. I loved the world Archer created, and the fact that she didn’t go heavy on the science fiction. It was soft, easy to understand and get involved in, and so compelling I immediately got sucked in. The balance of space battles and romance were the perfect combination to give any romance reader a thrill ride, regardless of the sub-genre.

Mara and Kell were super fun characters as well. Both were strong in their values and beliefs. I enjoyed that they both had such depth to them, even though the story was shorter than your average novel. The history they each had to go through to get to where they are today, was so fun to watch unfold. I loved that Kell was, in many ways, a very alpha hero. And at the same time, he gave Mara a lot of liberties to be her own woman, pilot her own ship, and get them out of some sticky situations. Likewise I enjoyed Mara’s ability to be a super strong heroine, and yet vulnerable and able to change at the same time. Plus, they had this great chemistry together. They burnt hot and steady and I enjoyed watching them deal with that.

The action was great in this as well. I loved the way that Mara and Kell had to rely on each other to continually get out of sticky situations, they way they each played off of the others skills. Again, there were so many things I loved about the world building: the different planets, the in space fights, the neat ships and crazy scenarios were so fun to read.

The book was constantly moving at a fun pace, and I never felt like I was left behind or confused ( as can happen in some Sci Fi Romance). For anyone out there thinking about jumping into the Sci Fi Romance genre, this would be a great starter book for you!

All in all, I give Collision Course an A.