MinnChica

MinnChica from The Book Pushers

Daring - Dee Davis Review originally posted here: http://thebookpushers.com/2011/07/11/review-daring-by-dee-davis/

Publisher: Grand Central
Publish Date: Out Now
How I got this book: NetGalley

This was my first Davis read, and although it was a short story, it totally pulled me in and had me wishing for so much more. I am definitely going to go out and pick up more of her work!

Lara was looking to escape for awhile, and ended up in Africa working at a small clinic as one of only a few doctors. She is running from her past and the love she lost. One night after one too many shots, the sexy Rafe starts looking more and more like a man she could start a life with. After one smoking hot night together tough, all Lara’s memories re-surface and she worries she may have moved too fast.

Rafe wants nothing more than to make Lara’s his, for good. But when rebel forces kidnap and take Lara, he fears the worst. Together they must trek through the jungle, avoid detection and try to find a way out of danger – all while fighting the intense attraction that keeps pulling them together.

This was a short but very fast paced novella. We are immediately thrown into the crazy life that Lara and Rafe live in Africa, including the never ending problems with sub-par health care. I always love mercenary and military romance books set in third world countries that bring about awareness to problems that arise around the world. I think it’s just another wonderful platform for people to become more knowledgeable of the world at large.

The suspense was really well done in this novella. I loved the sneaking through the jungle and trying to avoid the rebel forces aspect of it. I really do wish this could have been longer, because I think Davis could have really gone into so much more (like survival tactics, jungle wildlife, etc.). But with the short amount of page space, I thought the story had a perfect balance of suspense and romance.

At times the romance did feel a little rushed, again one of the downfalls of only having a certain number of pages. Lara and Rafe went from being co-workers to lovers to being in love in just about 48 very short hours. While I agree that adrenaline fueled situations can cause strong emotions between two people, I thought that their declarations of love at the end were a little too much too soon. Especially for Lara, who struggled with letting go of her previous love. But, the two were really well suited together and I loved them together.

All in all I really enjoyed this novella. It was a great introduction into Davis’ writing style and I have to say, I am definitely going to go and check out the other books in her A-Tac Series. The romance was hot and passionate, the suspense was intense and believable, and the overall story was beautiful.

I give Daring a B+