MinnChica

MinnChica from The Book Pushers

Lure of the Wicked - Karina Cooper Originally posted here: http://thebookpushers.com/2011/06/30/dnf-review-lure-of-the-wicked-by-karina-cooper/

Publisher: Avon
Publish Date: Out Now
How I got this book: NetGalley

When I first read Cooper’s Before the Witches (Review here), her short novella that introduces us to the world she created in the Dark Mission series, I thought I would be hooked. I really enjoyed the way she set up the world, and everything sounded so intriguing…

Well I missed the first full length novel in the series, Blood of the Wicked, and picked up Lure of the Wicked through NetGalley. I figured it wouldn’t be a problem since the books seem to be about different heroes and heroines.

Let me start by saying I only made it about 40% of the way through the book. I found that I had a difficult time keeping track of what exactly was going on, wasn’t really able to relate to the characters, and at times I felt like a pinball machine; bouncing to and fro.

While Naomi seemed to be a very fierce and kick ass character, she was also hard to relate to and understand. Whenever she was first and foremost in the scene, things were jumbled, convoluted and confusing. I found myself frequently going back and re-reading passages to try and figure out what I was missing, and being unable to do so. While Phin was a little bit better, I felt like many of his actions and reactions came from left field. One moment he is watching Naomi work out and the next he’s giving her an orgasm against a punching bag. O_o While the scene was super hot, I was left a little cold in that the emotions weren’t there.

While the blurb of the book pulled me in as far as the suspense went, it almost seemed as if there was too much going on. Too many sub plots, too many turns and not enough answers. While I didn’t expect anything to be resolved within the first 40% of the story, I also expected to move that part of the plot a lot further than it had.

Unfortunately I just didn’t get into this book, couldn’t seem to get into it enough to continue on, even though I wanted to enjoy it. I’ve read some really good reviews for this book, so maybe it’s just me?