MinnChica

MinnChica from The Book Pushers

Trace of Fever - Lori Foster Originally posted here: http://thebookpushers.com/2011/06/08/reviewgiveaway-trace-of-fever-by-lori-foster/

Publisher: HQN
Publish Date: Out Now!
How I got this book: NetGalley

Trace of Fever, the 2nd book in the Men Who Walk the Edge of Honor Series by Lori Foster is yet another Foster book that had me sitting up, taking notice, and wishing desperately for a sexy mercenary of my own.

After the horrible things his sister had to go through, Trace goes deep undercover with a local crime lord he knows is behind a large portion of the sex trade. And Trace will stop at nothing to bring Murray down. And things are going great, Trace has gotten himself all the way to Murray’s security detail when someone throws a kink in his plans.

Priscilla has one thing on her mind, and one thing only: the demise of Murray Coburn. The only problem is that she doesn’t know the first thing about taking someone down. But when she and Trace are paired together, the chemistry sizzles and ignites until the fire between them might just be enough to take down Murray’s entire organization.

One of the things that I really love about this series is just how in-depth Foster goes into the world of human trafficking. I love when an author can take such a horrific topic like this, bring it to light, and still have a great and happy story prevail.

I loved Trace from the moment we first met him in When You Dare. With the abduction of his little sister, he was one hundred percent devoted to doing his part in taking down guys like Murray, and he went at it with everything he had. He was determined to let nothing stop him, and then he met Priss. Suddenly he found his focus being on her; making sure she was safe, taken care of, and out of Murray’s mind.

That single minded focus actually brought out so many other aspects of his character. I loved that he was devoted to the mercenary agreement he had with Dare, how steady he was under pressure – even when facing something he had never faced before. Plus his attraction to Priss really seemed to take him by surprise, but he went with it and had me wishing for my very own Trace.

Although the heroine in the first book was difficult to read at times, the only thing I couldn’t stand about Priss was her name. There’s just something about referring to such a strong willed, determined, and fun woman as a “Priss” that rankled on my nerves. Other than that, I loved her. She was a survivor, brought up from nothing with a single minded determination to avenge her mother. Despite all the horrible things that Murray wanted done to her, and that Trace had to do to save his cover, Priss was determined to see it all through to the very end.

I really liked the romance in this one as well. There was a bit of a slow build up between Priss and Trace. They danced around each other, flirting and dropping hints before actually acting on any of their feelings. They were both so dedicated to their mission, yet knew that would could be between them so special, that they were willing to make sure it was the right time, the right everything. It was special, and all that more meaningful once they finally came together.

Jackson was also featured somewhat prominently in this one, and I can’t wait to get his book next. He and Alani had some great moments together, and I just know that the tension between those two is going to light up the pages and take over the entire book.

All in all I am so happy with this series to date. I love the strong Alpha hero fighting for a cause that is so close to his heart, driving him to do everything possible to save just one girl’s life. I loved our heroine’s desire for justice, and her dedication to get it regardless of the costs. The romance was incredible and was the perfect balance to the suspense plot.

I give Trace of Fever a A-