MinnChica

MinnChica from The Book Pushers

Something Secret This Way Comes (Secret McQueen, #1) - Sierra Dean Review originally posted here: http://thebookpushers.com/2011/05/11/review-something-secret-this-way-comes-by-sierra-dean/

Publisher: Samhain
Publish Date: Out Now!
How I got this book: eARC from author

Secret McQueen, half vampire half werewolf bounty hunter for the vampire council, finds herself in a sticky situation when she gets tasked with having to take down (preferably alive) the one nemesis from her past that has her shaking in her sexy boots.

If that wasn’t enough pressure, she also gets introduced to two sexy werewolves, the King of the East Coast Lucas and his broody second-in-command, Desmond. Secret is attracted to both males, and the feelings are mutual. But with trying to hide her half breed status, the pressure to catch the vampire rouge, and the never ending confrontations that arise in her life, Secret is having a hard time keeping up.

This debut book from Dean was a super fun UF, and I can’t wait to see more from this author and series. I’ll admit to being a little hesitant at first, not knowing where Dean was going with the whole werewolf love triangle. I typically CAN NOT stand when love triangles get introduced into a story, and then never get resolved or just drag out endlessly. However, I felt this was handled much better than any other book I’ve read recently. Secret doesn’t ever seem to feel more deeply for one than the other. Although I thought she was a little premature is admitting feelings for two men who claimed to have a bond with her.

The world building and plot in this were fantastic. I love the dynamics between the vampires and werewolves, as well as the inner pack workings amongst the wolves themselves. The action was packed and the story constantly moved at a quick pace, pulling me in with each word. There were also a few twists and turns that I never expected and enjoyed as they came up, especially with regards to the pack politics and Secret’s potential place within them.

Dean does an incredible job of bringing all the characters fully to life. I loved the Alpha ways of Lucas and Desmond, always wanting to be there to protect and hover over Secret. Likewise, the vampires Holden and Sig were great too, with just the right amount of mystery and intrigue. I think my favorite though is by far Calliope, the local Oracle who is shrouded in secrets that I can’t wait to hear more about!

I am very anxiously awaiting the second book in the series, mainly because of the cliffhanger that was the last line of the book. Secret is going to have a lot of hard decisions ahead of her, and I can’t wait to see where Dean takes us next. I do hope that as the series progresses, the love triangle between Secret and her wolves is worked out, however there were hints made that things might become even more and more complicated for Secret where her love life is concerned. While I’m hesitant with books where multiple men come forward and try to claim the heroine for himself, I’m hoping that Dean finds a way to balance it all out without going overboard.

All in all this was a wonderful UF debut filled with a great story line, a fun cast of characters, and some great blond joke references that had me liking Secret that much more. I can’t wait for more from this author!

I give Something Secret This Way Comes a B-