MinnChica

MinnChica from The Book Pushers

Hunting Human - Amanda E. Alvarez Publisher: Carina Press
Publish Date: 3/28/11
How I got this book: NetGalley

Carina Press has been a little hot or miss for me, with many of their books being absolutely amazing and incredible, and some not so much, But I have to say, Hunting Human was one of the better stories I’ve read from them this year.

Beth has been on the run for some time now. She is settling in Oregon, wanting more than anything to make it her home. She has a job she loves, a home she likes, and a city that appeals to her human and forest that appeals to her wolf. When she starts becoming romantically involved with Braden, she wishes and hopes that she can find a way to make it her permanent home.

But she is still being chased, and Markko is not one to let bygones be bygones, and he wants blood. When he tracks Beth down, she finds herself in an even more precarious situation. Markko and Braden’s families have been at war forever, but suspicions run high in Braden’s family and they have their reservations about Beth’s loyalty. But once she proves just how horribly Markko ruined her life, they will do everything in their power to help her get out from under his threats.

I really enjoyed the world building of this one, and I hope that Alvarez continues to write in this world. I loved the way Alvarez was also able to weave such a well done suspense plot into it as well. I was constantly on my toes about what Markko’s next move would be, how Braden’s family would retaliate and so on. It was very well done.

The characters were great as well. I loved the way Beth was able to survive even after all the horrible and awful things that had happened to her. Her display of strength was incredible, and I loved that she didn’t back down on anything. Although I really enjoyed Braden at first, he kinda got on my nerves when he was so quick to jump to assumptions about Beth. I really wanted him to have a little more faith in her.

That being said, I was glad to see that Beth really made him work to make it up to her. It was refreshing to have a lead female character who was strong and yet no insecure in herself as well. The fact that she really stood up to Braden, forced him to prove how much he wanted her in his life, just made her all the more believable to me.

I thought the secondary characters were great as well. All of Braden’s family was so fun. The dynamic between them was full of love and craziness and fierce protection of one another. Braden’s sister was one of my favorites, and I really hope that if Alvarez continues writing in this world, that she gets a chance at her HEA.

I was happy with the resolution with the Markko saga. I loved the way that Alvarez compared him and Braden, showing how the insanity of being a shifter could really go one way or the other, but how destructive it can be to let the wolf take charge. It was a great contrast.

All in all, I give Hunting Human 4 out of 5 wolf stalkers!