MinnChica

MinnChica from The Book Pushers

A Brush of Darkness (Abby Sinclair, Book 1) - Allison Pang Publisher: Pocket
Publish Date: Out Now
How I got this book: S&S Galley Grab

This book was recommended to me by so many of my fellow bloggers, so when I saw it available at the Simon & Schuester galley grab, I jumped at the chance to read it.

Abby has gone through some really difficult times in her life, and now that she is part of the magical underground, she is doing everything she can to leave her past exactly where it is, the past. But when her protector goes missing and she gets put on the path of trying to figure out what exactly is going on with her friends, she not only has to face some of her fears, but she has to face Brystion as well.

Brystion is an uber-sexy incubus, and when his sister was discovered missing after the deaths of many other succubi, he will do just about anything to get her back safe and sound. But after spending his days with Abby, will he be able to trade one loved one for another?

The world building in this UF was exceptionally complicated, and I frequently found myself scratching my head in confusion through the first half of this book. Now, I consider myself somewhat quick to jump on the world building bandwagons and sort through everything to understand all the subtle nuances of what exactly is going on, but Pang lost me pretty early on. There are so many different terms that all sound somewhat the same, and there were times when I felt as if I was coming in on a second book in the series, instead of a first. Call my crazy, but I could have used an info dump!

That being said, I really loved Abby and Brystion’s characters. Abby was completely flawed, and I felt like although she couldn’t really do or get anything right, at least her heart was always in the right spot. I liked that she was somewhat flawed and awkward for a UF heroine. It is so typical to have this total ass kicking, Buffy style heroine in Urban Fantasy, that it was refreshing to see Abby with her bumbling and fumbling along, making and screwing it all up as she went along.

Brystion was absolutely delicious, and the way he and Abby left things at the end of the book almost had me in tears. I want more Brystion back, and I want him heating up the pages with his incubus appeal. Although his motives were questionable, I enjoyed that he was able to recognize where he went wrong, and that he tried everything to go back and make it all right in the end. A great hero doesn’t always get it right the first time, but at least he tries until he does, and Brystion embodies that.

The magical unicorn living with Abby provided some great comedic relief in a fast moving and often dark story. The plot really does scoot quickly, and the book encompasses A LOT of stuff. Thankfully, Pang had great humor to break up the bleakness. The World of Warcraft references had me in absolute stitches (mainly because I’ve totally been there, done that!) and Pang has a great voice that easily bounces between serious and funny without losing anything.

I will most likely pick up the second book in the series, but I think that I might need to make myself a reference guide before I jump into it, because I don’t want to be as lost the second time around!

All in all, I give A Brush of Darkness 3 out of 5 magical unicorn sidekicks!