MinnChica

No Mercy (Dark-Hunters) - Sherrilyn Kenyon Review can be found at my blog here:

Publisher: St. Martin's Press
Publish Date: Out Now!
How I got this book: Pima County Public Library

I’ve read all the Dark, Were and Dream-Hunter books by Kenyon, and while the books can sometimes be very predictable, they are still enjoyable.

Bear shifter Dev recently lost his parents in the fight of their lives, and the guilt of their loss and his past has been eating away at him. When Dark-Hunter Samia comes strolling into his bar, Sanctuary, one night, things seem to come back alive for him. The two are instantly attracted to each other, and although there are rules against their kind becoming involved, they can’t seem to help themselves.

Sam is tough, regardless of how life has beat her down. Now that she has been dispatched to New Orleans to help protect Nick, she finds herself in the middle of a war. When the daimons leader realizes what kind of power she has, he will try just about anything to get her under his command. But neither Sam nor Dev is willing to let that happen. But just how far are they each willing to go to save the other?

While this wasn’t my favorite book in the series to date, it was still very enjoyable. I fell in love with Del long ago, and had been anxiously awaiting to see what kind of woman could take on his crazy sense of humor, total devotion to his crazy family and risky job as Sanctuary bouncer. I have to say, I was impressed with Sam. I immediately liked her snarky attitude, her love of Del’s humor and her kick ass ways.

When her story was revealed of how she became a Dark-Hunter, my heart broke a little for her. There have been times when I didn’t really connect with the story behind why each of the Dark-Hunters chose their path, but with Sam it did, Kenyon did a great job on her back story in my opinion. I was so glad that she was finally able to move past the pain and suffering and admit that she needed someone in her life. Likewise, Del always came across to me as this fun-loving, non serious kinda guy. But once we got a closer look into his history as well, I really felt for him. The things he had to endure with his mother and sister, the pains he took from his family… It just made me love him all the more.

The struggle Sam had to go through with her gift, and the way that Del was able to somewhat offset her powers was really neat. I enjoyed the way that these two were able to keep each other sane and grounded. They fit together great as a couple, even while running away from each other. They two of them had some of the best dialogue, joking and teasing each other in ways that had me laughing out loud on multiple occasions.

I am excited to get the stories on some of the other Peltier clan boys. A lot more was revealed about the other brothers, and I have to say they all really hold a special place in my heart. Right up there with Savitar.

I didn’t feel as if Kenyon moved the overall story arc any further along though, and to me the Dark-Hunter series has begun to really drag it’s knuckles that way. It seems with each and every new book in the series, we don’t learn much more about what is really going on. That is one of my biggest pet peeves with long standing series like this. It seems to me as if things take FOREVER to get resolved. I wish that wasn’t the case, but what can you do? I can only hope that going forward, the series starts to pick up and answer some of the questions that have been left hanging.

All in all, I give No Mercy 3.5 out of 5 sexy bear shifting bouncers!