MinnChica

MinnChica from The Book Pushers

Undeniably Yours - Shannon Stacey Publisher: Carina Press
Publish Date: 11/1/10
How I got this book: NetGalley

Shannon Stacey has become one of my favorite authors, and her Kowalski books from Carina Press are some of my favorites from 2010.

Kevin Kowalski is a sports bar owner, and has recently watched his brothers get the girl of their dreams. Granted, he isn't starved for female attention, but none of those females are ones that he would want to spend his life with. When he meets Beth, he knows right away that she is different, and when he finally gets her into bed, he wakes up the next morning all alone, with no way to contact her.

When Beth realizes that she is pregnant, she knows that she has to let Kevin know about the baby. Amazed to be one of the few that use protection and still get stuck in an awkward situation, she worries how Kevin will react to the news. To her surprise, after a few moments of shock, Kevin was stoked at the idea of becoming a father, and getting to find Beth again. These two will have to decide if they want to be just neighbors raising a baby, or a real family.

Loved, loved, loved this book. It was so great. I'm not usually a huge fan of stories that are based on an unexpected pregnancy, but I enjoyed the fact that Stacey changed it up a bit, and had Beth so adamantly against getting married or even dating just for the sake of the baby. To me, that is the smartest thing a couple can do when stuck in a situation like that, and I enjoyed that Stacey didn't romanticize the situation.

I absolutely fell for Kevin when we first met him in Exclusively Yours, and he just became so much more loveable as the story unfolded. I always love stories about men who are ready to settle down, start a family, and “grow up” who have trouble convincing the women they love to settle down. Kevin was such a great guy in my mind, he was supportive of Beth, while trying not to be too demanding. He wanted to care for her, provide for her, and love her. Much to her dismay.

I loved how he tried so hard to woo Beth into being with him. He so obviously wanted to be with her, and tried so hard to not only show her, but tell her as well. At the same time, I was glad to see when Kevin finally threw in the glove and told Beth he wouldn't wait around for her forever. It was a perfect combination of pride and a willingness to throw it all down the drain for Beth.

I felt so sad for Beth at times. She has such a hard time getting involved in the lives of those around her. Her fear of settling down caused her to live a crazy nomadic life. Because of that history, I can understand why she was so scared to really make a home and life with Kevin. I was glad to see her really break out of her shell though and come to the understanding of how wonderful life can be when you share it when someone you love.

I also really enjoyed the sub-plot surrounding Kevin's bartender and manager Paulie. I so enjoyed everything about Paulie and her history with Sam. It was a great little story weaved through. Likewise, the Kowalski family is back again in full force! I loved getting another glimpse into their fun family. Keri and Joe's wedding, another annual camping trip, and some fun holiday traditions. I know we've run out of single Kowalski brothers, but I can only hope that Stacey will bring these characters back for another story in the future.

All in all, I give Undeniably Yours 5 out of 5 accidental pregnancies!