MinnChica

MinnChica from The Book Pushers

Eternal Kiss of Darkness - Jeaniene Frost Eternal Kiss of Darkness is the second book in the Night Huntress World Series, and this go around we get the chance to focus on Mencheres, Bones co-ruler and mysterious Egyptian. I have been anxiously awaiting this book for some time now, as I love getting to know the additional characters in the Night Huntress World. While I’ve heard many Frost fans out there say they really don’t like these books compared to the Bones & Cat books, I personally disagree.

Mencheres has lives a long (and I’m talking really really LONG) life as a vampire, and he has gotten to the point where he is just about ready to give up on this world and move onto the next. One night, while being attacked by ghouls, private investigator Kira hears some suspicious noises, and jumps into Mencheres aid.

When Kira is almost killed and forced to take some of Mencheres blood to survive, he takes her back to his home so he can let her heal, and erase her memories. When that doesn’t work, he keeps her close by in hopes it eventually will. When he realizes it just might not happen, he lets go of Kira so he can continue on with his plan to take down his lifelong enemy, Radjedef.

While the war with Radjedef continues, Kira gets stuck in the middle, and Mencheres must fight for both her life, the future of his people, and his desire to continue on in the world.

I really enjoyed this book. Then again, Frost really can’t do wrong in my eyes. I loved that Mencheres struggled with the loss of his visions, and his disillusions with the living. Although he kinda depressed me at times, I really can’t imagine living all those centuries like he did. Talk about things getting old… But I loved learning more about his history and background. Mencheres has always been a kind of cleaner guy to me. He comes in and cleans up other people’s messes. I loved having to watch him get a little nervous, relying on others for help.

Kira was also absolutely great. I loved the change from Cat a hard-ass fighter to Denise, a weaker fighter female character. Now we are back to another ass kicker, and Kira doesn’t disappoint. I love that she fights so strongly for Mencheres, and that she is constantly sticking up for him when it seems like no one else will.

The extent of the history between Mencheres and Radjedef seemed to kind of take me by surprise. Although they have been fighting for centuries, it seems like this is the first time it has ever been mentioned. Granted it seems like Mencheres did everything in his power to keep his private life from Bones, I was surprised how little we really knew of Mencheres.

While I love seeing little glimpses into what Cat & Bones are up to, they were not in this book as much as they were in First Drop of Crimson. However, I was stoked to see more of Vlad, one of my favorites in the Night Huntress World.

I loved finding out more about the vampire guardians and the laws they abide, and the vast powers Mencheres has. I hope that Kira can fulfill her chance to finally become a cop, just a vampire one. *grin*

All in all, I give Eternal Kiss of Darkness 4 out of 5 Egyptian Pharaohs.